Taking good care of your hot water systems - tips and tricks
When you take into account how often you use hot water during the day, the importance of your water heater becomes abundantly clear. There are many simple and low-cost ways to improve the efficiency levels and durability of a water heater. Some tasks, such as attaching insulation and adjusting the temperature, must be completed just once. Meanwhile others, like draining the tank and inspecting the anode rod, should be performed on a yearly basis.
Talking with a professional is a wise idea. We have years of expertise installing hot water heaters and Hot Water System Repairs in the Blue Mountains.
How frequently should you service your hot water system?
Traditional water storage heaters have a lifespan of 10 to 12 years, whereas tankless devices can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance. It is best to consult your company’s manual for their guidelines, but maintenance should be performed once in five years to ensure your system is working properly. It is critical to service your hot water device in order to keep it running at peak efficiency. It’s a smart idea to keep your servicing updated in order to secure your warranty.
Furthermore, when you’re in a new house and aren’t confident if your unit has been serviced recently, hire our Hot Water System Repairs in Blue Mountains and have it inspected. This allows you to create a service timeline.
Hints and tips for keeping your hot water systems in good working order
Let’s take a look at how to maintain your hot water system – what tasks you can undertake on your own and when it is best to let the professionals handle it.
- Checking your hot water system at home
If you have a hot water storage system, you can inspect the temperature and pressure relief control valve by yourself once every six months. This entails removing super-hot water, so you should wear protective gloves, long pants, and closed-toed shoes as a precaution.
Make sure the ground beneath the valve is empty, and stay as far back as you can. Lift the valve handle gradually to discharge a small amount of water from the pipe’s end before turning the switch to shut the valve and restrict the flow. In case it feels jammed or if the water keeps flowing after closing, don’t attempt to force it; instead, hire a qualified plumber, as it probably needs to be replaced.
- Is it time to seek professional help?
In between planned service and maintenance, there can be warning signs to look for that suggest a professional should come by sooner than expected:
- If you have a hybrid or combination hot water system with continuous flow and the temperature regularly varies (please take note that slight temperature fluctuation is considered normal)
- In the case of a tank system, if there is a continual leak or recurring releasing of hot water from the pressure and temperature release valve/pipe (though a small amount of water is common for the valve to discharge).
- If you ever smell gas, take action right away. If it’s safe to do, turn off the power at the origin, expel any blaze, and prevent unnecessary use of electrical switches or cell phones nearby – locate a safe area and call a professional plumber.
- As commonly perceived, all that can go wrong will go wrong at the most unfortunate of times, therefore if a hot water system is on the verge of failing, it will do so at the most unfortunate time. However, proper maintenance can help you bypass the trouble of after-hours call-outs and full days without heated water.
Is your hot water system in need of replacement?
Hot water systems typically have a ten-year life expectancy, and some could last for much longer. It is generally believed that your water system’s second phase usually is its last and final, so if it’s nearing the end of its lifespan, you should really be discussing alternative options.
Therefore, as a general rule of thumb, get rid of your current water heater system now before something awful happens. Contact our team for Hot Water System Repairs in Blue Mountains and have them thoroughly inspect it.
In case you have any doubts about what kind of hot water system you have in your home or are unsure about performing some of these maintenance jobs yourself, the crew will be glad to serve you with the best Hot Water System Repairs services in the Blue Mountains.
Disclaimer: This is a generic Information & post; content about the services can be changed from time to time as per your requirements and contract. To get the latest and updated information, contact us today or visit our website.
Enter your contact details here to help us serve you better & faster.
We offer a full line of services for all your plumbing and drain cleaning needs.